Thursday, March 17, 2011

Twix Cookies

Last night, I went to another blogger meetup. It was a potluck, and I knew immediately that I needed to bring some sort of dessert. My first attempt was caramel apple cider cookies. They didn’t turn out because the caramel was too tough when they were cool. My next attempt was salted brown butter rice krispie squares, but I was apparently having an off day because I managed to mess those up. I finally settled on Twix cookies; the easiest way to describe them is that they’re like a chocolate chip cookie, but instead of chocolate chips, there’s chopped up Twix bars mixed in.

P1030553

I thought the cookies were great, as did my sister, her boyfriend and Stephen. However, I ended up bringing nearly the entire batch of cookies back home with me last night. I think that’s more due to the fact that there were also cheesecake brownies in attendance, and that most people were still full from dinner. Despite that, I still highly recommend these cookies. After all, how could you go wrong with cookies that call for chopped up chocolate bars? Merry (from Merry With Children) says that she’s made a similar cookie that used Mars bars. Any chocolate bar would do, really. Experiment with your favorite and let me know how it turns out!

Twix Cookies
Adapted from Sprinkled With Flour

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4  cup melted (and then cooled) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped Twix bars

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Coarsely chop Twix bars in 1/4 inch chunks.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Fold in flour, then fold in the chopped Twix bars.
4. These cookies look best if you use this method from Sprinkled With Flour: Grab a scant 1/2 cup of dough and roll it into a ball. Then, using your fingertips, pull apart the dough into two equal halves. Place on cookie sheets with the jagged edges facing up.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned.

P1030546

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...