Thursday, March 24, 2011

Strawberry Banana Muffins

After grocery shopping on Saturday, Stephen and I ended up with 2 2lb clamshells of strawberries, completely free. I love strawberries, so of course I was all over this deal. My favorite way to eat strawberries is sliced up with a little bit of Nutella mixed in, or dipped in sour cream and brown sugar. I was out of Nutella, and sour cream, so after eating a big bowl of sliced strawberries with a hint of sugar, I knew that I needed an alternative before they go bad. My guinea pigs like strawberries as well, but they only get half a strawberry each a day, so that isn’t too helpful to my cause.

P1030560

It’s been a while since I’ve baked with strawberries. (Last summer was the last time, actually.) While flipping through some cookbooks at work, I came across a recipe for these muffins in the Quinoa 365 book. Stephen and I don’t eat quinoa, but I’ve been wanting to try and incorporate some healthier options into our every day lives when possible. This looked like a great opportunity to do so! The muffins turned out super moist, and I loved the chunks of strawberries. Next time I make these though, I’ll be sure to sprinkle some coarse sugar on top of the muffins. They just needed that extra “oomph”.

Strawberry Banana Muffins
From Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood

(Printable Recipe)

1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed banana
1 cup diced frozen strawberries

1. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and leave sitting, covered for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin tins.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix in cooked quinoa, making sure to coat the quinoa well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and oil. Mix in yogurt, egg, vanilla and banana.
5. Stir the strawberries into the flour mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture.
6. Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

P1030563

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...