Thursday, August 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie Trifle

Up until last week, I don’t think that I’ve ever had a trifle. And if I have? It certainly wasn’t memorable. For Father’s Day, Stephen and I gifted my Dad a double date night: we’d cook him a fancy dinner and then take him to the movies. My Mom was included, of course. Stephen and I had known forever that I needed to try out a trifle, so we bought a trifle dish specifically for this meal. Father’s Day was in June…we just made him his fancy dinner last week. Life gets hectic and gets in the way!

August 7 010

This is yet another Pinterest find for me. Everyone in my family loves the peanut butter and chocolate combo, so it was sure to be a hit. This recipe may actually be called Peanut Butter Pie Parfait, but since I served it in a trifle bowl, I’m calling it Peanut Butter Pie Trifle. The original recipe seems to be meant for serving in little individual sized serving cups, so I had to quadruple my recipe to fit in a trifle dish. This was so delicious, but amazingly sweet. I had to send over half of it home with my Dad! You’ll have to excuse the pictures. I didn’t think I was going to share this recipe because I couldn’t make the trifle look pretty, but it was too good not to share. I snapped some pictures at the table, just before serving it.

Peanut Butter Pie Trifle
Adapted from Inside BruCrew Life

Oreo Crust
Oreo cookies
Melted butter

I just guesstimated measurements for this. I used about two sleeves of Oreo cookies and pulsed them in the food processor. Then, I mixed in about 1/4 melted butter. Press into the bottom of the trifle dish.

Chocolate Ganache
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup whipping cream

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the whipping cream to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted, then set aside to cool.

Peanut Butter Pie Filling
2 cups chunky peanut butter
14 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 1/2 containers cool whip, thawed

Cream the cream cheese and peanut butter. Beat in icing sugar until smooth. Fold in cool whip.

Layer into the trifle dish. Here are my layers, starting from the bottom up:

Oreo crust
Peanut butter pie filling
Chocolate ganache
Chopped up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut butter pie filling
Chocolate ganache
Garnished with cool whip and chopped up Reese’s Peanut Butter cups

August 7 012

August 7 013

Enjoy!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...