Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tres Leches Cake

Tres Leches cake has always been intriguing to me, but never enough to actually bump it up on my to-bake list. The thought of a cake soaked in three different types of milk is oddly appealing. My original plan was to make it for Cinco de Mayo, but that fell through when I got busy. Not a big deal, since I’ve never been one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

june 12 021

A couple of weeks ago, Stephen and I had Hawaiian meatballs in our meal plan for the week, and since my whole family is obsessed with that meal, we decided to invite my Mom over for dinner. (My Dad and sister were in Vancouver.) It was a last minute decision, and she’d be coming over shortly after I got home from work, so I needed something that would be relatively quick and easy, minimizing my time in the kitchen. This turned out to be the perfect dessert for that because it doesn’t take long to whisk together the ingredients and excusing myself to go to the kitchen to finish up wasn’t time consuming. Now, for how the cake turned out; I was underwhelmed by my first two bites, but after that, I was obsessed with the cake. Same went for my Mom. As for Stephen, well, let’s just say that he neglected to inform me that he’s not a fan of “wet cakes”. Boo on him! This cake would be amazing piled high with fresh fruit, and most definitely tastes delicious the next morning with a cup of coffee.

Tres Leches Cake
From Pioneer Woman

1 cup flour
1.5 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until pale yellow. Mix in vanilla and milk. Combine with flour mixture.
4. Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, beat eggs whites until soft peaks form. Add in remaining sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff.
5. Very gently fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter. Pour into pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Turn out cake onto a cooling rack.
6. Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream. Pierce the surface of the cake several times with the tines of a fork. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture all over the top. (The cake won’t absorb all of the liquid.) Let sit for half an hour.

Icing

1 pint heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp sugar

Combine cream and sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Spread over the cake.

Enjoy!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...