Monday, June 21, 2010

Waterfall Valley

Friday morning, I had been at work for less than two hours before the boys had started bugging each other and I knew I had to get them out of the house to save my own sanity. It had been raining all week, but the sun was finally shining, so I knew that we needed to go on an adventure. My Friday Family lives close to Bowmont Park, so the boys grabbed their scooters and we headed over there for a walk.Waterfalls 007

{Where we started out. The waterfalls are down by the river}

When I was in high school, I would often venture over to Bowmont Park during the summers with a friend. Back then, there weren’t paved pathways and stairs leading to what has been dubbed “Waterfall Valley.” We would have to hike twice as hard to make it there, but the end result was always worth it. It used to be one of my favorite summertime activites; we’d spend hours sitting by the river and climbing all around the waterfalls.

Waterfalls 023

{Stairs leading up to a lookout point}

Waterfalls 021

{Describes how Waterfall Valley was created}

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the city was developing pathways leading to this particular area of the Bow River. I’m glad that more people will have access to one of my favorite spots.

Waterfalls 025

Waterfalls 029

The boys were absolutely thrilled with the discovery of these waterfalls, and loved the fact that we could spend all morning there. They were perfectly content spending the entire time alternating between throwing rocks into the river and into the waterfalls.
I suspect that we’ll be making many return trips there this summer. I’ve already promised them a picnic, and we definitely need to show their sister how much fun it is there!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...