Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I’ve Got A Confession To Make…

I like reading bad chick lit. There, I said it.

I realize that this isn’t exactly revolutionary, but I feel like it’s a secret that I’ve been harboring away from the world. Whenever I’m checking out library books, I be sure to use the self checkout because I don’t want people judging me based on the books that I read. If I’m at the bookstore, well, I just try and and pay for my purchases as quickly as possible. It’s silly really, but I can’t help it. Chick lit happens to be a perfect escape from reality, with no thinking involved. It’s normally light and easy to read, and I don’t get too emotionally invested.

The reason this has been on my mind is a week or two ago, Stephen and I stopped by a used bookstore that’s down the street from us. They had books out front that were 4 for $10, which is a fantastic price, especially for hardcover books. I immediately grabbed these two books:

abortionistsdaughter thetaking

I had a really hard time picking out my other two books though. I picked through the bin several times, and by then, Stephen had wandered off into the store. I decided to just go ahead and grab some chick lit. The only books in the bin that sounded remotely interesting were these two:

bestfriendsforever the-debutante-divorcee

I peaked inside the covers to see how much they retail for normally; $29.99 and $32.95, respectively. There’s no way I’d ever pay that much for silly books like this. I have to apologize to authors, but I just couldn’t bring myself to pay so much for a book that I’ll probably devour in less than a week. And that’s if I only read during my commute to work. If I actually sat down to read these at home? I’d be done in an afternoon. I probably won’t even remember what these books are about in a few months time, but that’s just what I’m looking for after a long day at work. I need something to distract me, but nothing too intense.
Kind of like the way that I love watching reality shows, but that’s another post for another day…

Do you like reading chick lit? What are your favorite chick lit books?
You can find me on Goodreads here.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...