Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Balcony Garden

I’ve wanted a garden for ages. I have dreams of having a decent sized garden filled with veggies. There’s nothing more satisfying than growing your own veggies and then eating them straight from the garden! In the last two apartments that I lived in, I didn’t get to have my garden; not even a balcony garden.

A few weeks ago, I was babysitting. Stephen called me up and told me he had a surprise for me. When I got home, there was a tomato plant waiting for me at the top of the stairs. That boy sure knows the way to my heart! I hope to make some salsa with our tomatoes at some point this summer. I finally convinced Stephen that we needed to add to our balcony garden, so that weekend,we headed to Canadian Tire. We picked up a few herbs, and a hanging strawberry basket. It may not seem like much, but I’m perfectly content with our little balcony garden.

May 16 350

The tomato plant that started it all. It sits in the corner of our balcony. I added the marigolds afterward because I read that they help keep away bugs.

May 16 349

The planter full of herbs. From R-L: Basil, Dill, Oregano and Thyme. I hope to get enough basil to make pesto!

May 16 351

May 16 352

The hanging strawberry plant. I’m not sure if you can make it out, but we’ve got a few green strawberries! I can’t wait till their ripe!

After we had finished planting everything, I commented to Stephen how the balcony felt so much more cozy. I then started cooking dinner, when Stephen exclaimed that he had a surprise for me, and that he would be back in twenty minutes. He had run back to Canadian Tire to buy us two chairs for the balcony! Guess the garden really grew on him!

Do you have a garden? What are you growing?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...