Monday, May 16, 2011

Back to School

After high school, due to circumstances beyond my control, I never furthered my education. I jumped right into being a nanny, as childcare was the only thing I had any interest in. It’s always bothered me that I haven’t taken any classes since high school, but it was just something beyond my control. (Sorry for being vague on that, it’s not something I’m completely willing to get into on my blog.)

Last month, this thing happened to work itself out. There was a lot of celebrating and questions of what I was going to do with my life now. I’ve always had plans for what to do, but to be honest, they scared me a little bit. At the end of last week…I applied for school. I feel like this is unplanned, and in a way, it is. I applied to take the Early Learning and Childcare course at Mount Royal University. I’ll be doing it online because I’m not ready to give up my full time job just yet.

The funny thing about this is the fact that I had just become completely ok with being a nanny until I had children of my own. I seriously love my job. I get to work with amazing kids, and I get to plan stuff to do that makes it feel like I’m not even working. My job can be challenging at times, but I’d take those challenges any day of the week. The truth is, I’m completely unqualified as a nanny. I can still do my job, and I’m still good at it, but it’s always bugged me that I have no education behind my job. With this course, it opens up new opportunities: early childhood educator, special needs caregiver (preschool, kindergarten programs, daycares etc..)

The course is a year long, and I’ll be starting in September. I’m nervous. I’m 25 years old, and I haven’t done any school work in 7 years. It’ll be a tough (and busy) year ahead of me, but I’m so thankful for this opportunity. I know that after all is said and done, I’ll be glad I did it. Once the course is over, I’m not sure where I’ll be. I don’t know if I’ll stay a nanny (and ask for my pay) or if I’ll take advantage of the new doors that are being opened for me. We’ll talk about that in a year, ok?

Where do you stand in the whole education world? Have you already finished post secondary schooling? Never went? Completing it now? Or are you a mature student, like me? I’d love to hear all about your experiences, and please, leave me some words of wisdom!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...