Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jelly Modern

The blog world has introduced me to many things that I was blissfully unaware of previously. The biggest influence has been on my food, there are so many great food bloggers out there, and I just love reading reviews and recipes. If it weren’t for blogs, I would have never known how awesome donuts could be. The donuts that I’ve come across in Calgary haven’t been spectacular. I’ve grown up with donuts from Tim Horton’s and over the years, they’ve gotten smaller and are now shipped to the stores frozen. Nothing too exciting there. While reading certain blogs, I’ve discovered that in certain places in the States, there are amazing donuts places. I’ve been saying to Stephen for a while now that I wanted a better donut shop to open up in Calgary. I’ve been craving good donuts.

May 1 026

May 1 029

And then it happened. Jelly Modern Doughnuts opened up, which I found out thanks to Twitter. They haven’t been open for too long, but I’ve been itching to go ever since I heard about them. On Saturday afternoon, I found myself with nothing to do, so I headed downtown to pick up a dozen donuts.

May 1 028{Lemon Curd}

May 1 031{Coconut}

I arrived to a half empty display case. The bakery had been open for 4 hours already, so I really should have known better. The guy in front of me took the last two of the donuts that I really wanted to try, so I settled for taking one each of everything left, which worked out to 7 donuts. It’s a good thing I didn’t get my original dozen, because the box was so big that I would have had trouble lugging it home on transit.

May 1 034{Orange Blossom}

May 1 036{Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla}

I brought my loot over to my parents’ house that night, and we all sampled them together. I cut each donut into six pieces and we all went to town. My favorite was the lemon curd, and there were two who loved the mini chocolate donut. Three people weren’t too keen on the maple bacon (which I loved!) and one didn’t like the Madagascar bourbon vanilla. I didn’t even try the coconut (I don’t like the texture of coconut in my mouth), but I heard it was delicious.

May 1 041{Maple Bacon}

May 1 043{Mini Chocolate}

While these donuts are a bit on the pricey side, I don’t mind shelling out the extra cash for gourmet donuts. Besides, it’s not like it’s something you eat every day! I’ll definitely make a trip back in the near future right at opening time so that I can grab a dozen of all the ones I didn’t get to try out.

May 1 047{Seasonal Fruit}

Do you like donuts? Have you ever had a gourmet donut?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...