Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chai Waffles

Sundays are meant for sleeping in, then making a big breakfast. Maybe even brunch because you slept later than intended. Sundays are meant to be lazy days. A day to unwind after a long week. That wasn’t the case for me this past Sunday. I have a couple of families that I babysit for on the weekend, and I made a commitment to one family to babysit while the Mom worked and Dad ran the Mother’s Day run and walk. This family lives downtown, which is a train ride and a bit of a walk for me. When I’m babysitting for these guys, I usually start at 6:30am, which means I’m up at 5am.

May 11 039

This past Sunday was rainy; I stopped for coffee just before arriving at work. When I got there, I buzzed up. The Mom answered, all sleepy voiced. She had no idea why I was there. They told me to come up, and after I knocked on the door, my sneaking suspicion was confirmed. They forgot to tell me that they didn’t need me to babysit that day. Feeling bad for their mistake, the family still paid me for my time. I started off toward home, bitter about the fact that I had woken up early for nothing. Bitter about the fact that I was on my second cup of coffee, so I wouldn’t be sleeping when I got home. Bitter about the fact that it was raining. After I had some time to sort out my thoughts, I realized that this wasn’t an awful thing after all. I mean, I was paid for no work! I had a whole day ahead of me. After catching up on Twitter, I was feeling pretty hungry. A few of the girls I follow had tweeted about waffles and I knew I needed some right away. I decided that I wanted chai waffles, so I googled some. My search lead me to a blog I already follow; Ezra Pound Cake. Done deal.

These waffles are perfect for a rainy Sunday morning, especially when paired with a big cup of coffee (or chai tea). If you’re feeling indulgent, click over to Ezra Pound Cake for her whipped cream recipe.

Chai Waffles
From Ezra Pound Cake

1 3/4 cups milk
7 chai tea bags
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla

1. Bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add the tea bags. Let steep for about 5 minutes, while milk cools.

2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and the milk. Fold the wet ingredients gently into the dry ingredients.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.

4. Cook your waffles in a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Dust with icing sugar and top with whipped cream.

Enjoy!

May 11 040

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...