Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

I’m lousy when it comes to eating breakfast first thing in the morning. Well, that is, unless someone else is making it for me. The only thing on my mind when I first wake up is coffee, and that’s all I can be bothered to make. 9 times out of 10, by the time I leave for work, I’m getting pretty hungry, so I’ll toss a baggie of cereal in my purse to eat at work. I want to be better about eating breakfast at home though, so I’ve been contemplating baking some things on the weekend to help me out with that. When I found a recipe book called Morning Food at the library, I knew this was the perfect book to help me out with that.

May 1 001

These muffins are pretty dang good, and taste great with a cup of coffee. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like they could use a bit more sugar. If I wasn’t making these as a breakfast item, I’d go ahead and add in 1/2 cup white sugar. Either way, I’d sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a bit of sugar before they go in the oven. I read somewhere that the key to perfectly domed muffins is baking them at 400F no matter what the recipe calls for. The recipe already called for that, and I could see the beginnings of the perfect dome. I think if I had heaped the muffin tins a bit more full, they would have domed beautifully. Using fresh frozen blueberries will help prevent them from bleeding all over your batter when mixing them in.

Blueberry Muffins
From Morning Food by Margaret S. Fox

(Printable Recipe)

2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup chopped toasted almonds
1 cup fresh frozen blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, oil, heavy cream and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, salt and baking powder. Fold into the liquid mixture.
4. Fold in almonds and blueberries. Pour into greased muffin tins and sprinkle with addition sugar if desired.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden.
Enjoy!

May 1 010

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...