Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chocolate Macaroons

I did a guest post about these cookies last year on a friend’s blog, but figured they needed to be on my blog as well.

April 27 Pt 2 016

Back when I first started dating Stephen, I wanted to know what his favorite cookie was. He told me it was chocolate macaroons, but knowing nothing about baking back then, I was clueless. The only chocolate macaroons I had ever seen came in a box from Walmart. I bought them for him as a surprise, but it turns out I was wrong. I then remembered seeing a bag of chocolate macaroons being sold at Safeway, so I tried those next. Wrong again. He tried once again to describe them to me, and told me that I would need to make them myself, but his Mom had the recipe. I emailed her to get the recipe, and then tried once again to surprise him with these cookies. Turns out I had finally gotten it right! These cookies have been such a hit in my family, and whenever I make them, I always have to make them in large quantities so that we have extra to throw in the freezer.

I’ve come a long way in my baking skills since those early days of dating Stephen, but I still love making these cookies. They’re not even baked, you just boil some ingredients together on the stove and mix it all up. Easy as pie, and oh so addicting.

Chocolate Macroons

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup Margarine
6 tsp Cocoa powder
3 cups Quick Oats
1 cup Shredded coconut
1 tsp Vanilla

1. Combine the sugar, milk, margarine and cocoa powder in a pot. Bring to a low boil, and then continue boiling for only 4 minutes.

2. In a separate bowl, combine quick oats, coconut and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture.

3. Drop by the spoonful onto waxed paper to cool and set (they don’t fall apart when picked up). Once set, store them in the fridge in a sealed container, so they don’t dry out.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...