Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pumpkin Harvest Cookies

Baking With Angela

Now that we’re well into fall, you’d probably be expecting me to be whipping up pumpkin flavored treats, right? Wrong. Stephen doesn’t like pumpkin flavored things, and there’s no way in heck I’m about to bake something entirely for myself. I don’t have very good self control when it comes to limiting the baked goods. After seeing yet another delicious looking recipe involving pumpkin (thanks to Mel over at Tweeded.com for making me jealous of her domestic skills), I decided that I had had enough. I went to Safeway and bought a can of pumpkin pie filling. I had plans to make myself a batch of cookies to freeze, but then my sister invited me over to hang out. Perfect! Now I could keep just a few cookies and send the rest over to my family! These cookies were GOOD. My family gobbled them down in mere minutes. I may have had more than my fair share. But they were worth it.

October 4 040

Notes: I’m a firm believer of using what you’ve got on hand, so I made several changes to this recipe. I’m posting the original recipe with my adjustments because I think it would taste amazing either way. My adjustments are in the brackets.
I have never once seen pumpkin pie spice in stores around here. Maybe I just don’t look hard enough. Regardless, I made my own, using this website as a guide (I used the second recommendation).
Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/4 cup cinnamon
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cloves

Mix all together and store in an airtight container.

Mrs. Field’s Pumpkin Harvest Cookies
Adapted from the recipe posted at Tweeded.com

(Printable Recipe)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
1 cup pumpkin puree (I used pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
10 oz white chocolate (I used 1 cup chocolate chips)
1 cup toasted pecan pieces (I used untoasted walnuts)

October 4 037

1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in pumpkin, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Fold in flour mixture. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips, being careful not to over mix.
5. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20-22 minutes, or until set.

October 4 041 October 4 043
October 4 042

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...