Friday, September 9, 2011

The Summer List: An Update

I seriously look forward to making my summer list every year. For this list, I’ve unofficially given myself the months of June, July and August to complete it. I like to think that I do pretty good with completing most things on my list, but this year, I don’t know what the heck happened. It’s now September, and I’ve only completed 5 of the 16 things on the list.

I’m sorta kinda thinking this might have to do with the fact that I’ve worked more this summer than I have in summers past. I was with new nanny families that actually work straight through the summer, so I didn’t find myself with boatloads of time off. I also think that I didn’t do a very good job of filling my list with practical goals. I had make salsa and pesto on this list, because I was expecting to use up the bounty of my little balcony garden to do this. Well, my basil died off within the first month of planting it, and our tomato plant actually ended up being little tiny cherry tomatoes; which are not conducive to salsa making.

A few other things on the list were meant to be completed with the boys that I nanny. Turns out, we had a bit of a rough July because I couldn’t get them to leave the house for anything. My dreams of Butterfield Acres and Riley Park never came to fruition. (Oh, I always add on a couple of extra things when I write out my list for the fridge.) A couple of other things were meant to be completed with our brand new Little Brother (from Big Brothers Big Sisters), but we still haven’t been matched yet. Turns out the postal strike a few months back seriously delayed our Child Intervention Checks, so we’re only going through the matching process now.

Even though I normally feel like the start of September means the end of my Summer List, I’m going to go ahead and give myself until the end of September to try and knock a few more things off my list. I know that some things will remain unfinished, but I’m ok with that. Sometimes, I just have to give myself permission to let things go. I struggle with that occasionally, but I’m working on it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...