Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pride

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned this on my blog before, but I have two gay uncles. Their history together is long and complicated, but they are no longer together. Doesn’t matter though, as they are still good friends, and we still consider one of them as our uncle. In fact, they are two of my favorite uncles. I mention this to let you know that the issue of gay rights has always been near and dear to my heart.

Whenever Pride weekend rolls around to Calgary, I try to make an effort to go, and I’m glad that at least one of my sisters is always on board with me. I love going show my support, and to hear some awesome music while I’m there. This past Sunday was the Pride Parade, so naturally, my sister, her boyfriend and I were there; front and center.

September 6 017

Mayor Nenshi was the parade marshal (how awesome is he?). I loved his shirt, which read: “Straight, Not Narrow”.

A few of the floats weren’t exactly family friendly (think lots of leather), so I’ll leave out those pictures from this post. 

September 6 090

My sister got into the spirit by buying a rainbow flag and waving it around. Daniel got into the spirit by sporting the free sunglasses that Telus was handing out.

September 6 091

I got into the spirit by wearing a purple shirt, which actually happens to be my current favorite shirt, regardless of what it may stand for.

It was pretty awesome being surrounded by such a positive energy, and so much glitter! There were people walking in the parade with bottles of glitter, offering to douse people in the stuff. I very narrowly missed a glitter attack, but still noticed quite a bit on my face at the end of the night. The streets of Calgary have never glittered more than they did this past Sunday.

Tell me, have you ever been to a Pride Parade? What was your favorite part?
If you haven’t been to a Pride Parade, tell me about the best parade you’ve ever attended!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...