Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Perks of Being a Nanny

Have I mentioned lately just how much I love my job? I really do. One of the perks of being a nanny is all of the play time. K (the 7 year old boy I look after) once asked me what my job is. Since he’s used to his Mom and Dad leaving the house to go to work, he didn’t understand why I didn’t leave the house to work as well. I explained to him that coming to his house is my job. My job is to take care of his brother, cousin and him. His response? He thinks that I have a cool job because I get to stay home and play all day. While I do have a few other things that I have to do, he’s exactly right. My favorite part of my job is getting to come up with creative ways to play!

July 3 004

With the boys out of school for the summer, I need to be extra creative with how to fill our days. Thanks to the internet, I’ve got an entire folder in my bookmarks dedicated to awesome play ideas. I’m hoping to share a few of the things that I’ve done in order to give you guys a glimpse into my work life, and to help inspire anyone else out there dealing with kids. Just a side note: I won’t be showing pictures of any of my nanny kids on here. As much as I want to show off how cute they are, I want to respect their privacy.

First up in our summer of fun: homemade Angry Birds! These boys are surrounded by iPhones, so naturally, they’ve played Angry Birds. T (the 4 year old) would often grab various items from around the house and use them to play an imaginative game of Angry Birds with me. I thought it would be fun to come up with some sort of physical replica of the Angry Birds characters for us all to play with. After a quick Google search, I found these printables. I printed them off, took them to work and got crafting!

July 3 002

I just used what I had on hand. I glued the cut outs to manilla folders for extra reinforcement. I just used some tape to hold it all together. Some of the birds were missing some head pieces, but the boys preferred them not to have them anyway. They certainly weren’t perfect, but I didn’t let that bother me because I knew that the boys would be bashing them around.

July 3 006

July 3 007

July 3 014

July 3 011

July 3 015

July 3 019

July 3 024

What’s your favorite Angry Bird? Do you have any super awesome summer time activities that you think I should try out with my boys? Feel free to leave me links to ideas in my comments!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...