Thursday, July 7, 2011

Buster Bar Dessert

Stephen is obsessed with Buster Bars from Dairy Queen. He’s been pestering me for weeks now to make him some sort of copycat version of it. Actually, he just wanted me to layer ice cream, chocolate sauce and peanuts in a trifle bowl. I didn’t agree with that, so I turned to Google to see if someone else had made something similar. Of course they have!

july 7 001

I pulled this recipe off of All Recipes and it was a major hit. Ever had a Dairy Queen cake before? We found this crust to be so similar to theirs, along with the chocolate fudge sauce. I could have sworn that I was sitting in Dairy Queen, eating a treat. Stephen told me that it tasted like a store bought dessert, and this is the one time that I’ll accept that as a compliment! I did have to use Cool Whip though, which is normally a big no-no for me. There’s just no way that homemade whipped cream would have worked here.

Buster Bar Dessert
Slightly adapted from All Recipes

1 pound Fudgee-O cookies (pulsed in the food processor until coarse crumbs are formed)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 gallon softened vanilla ice cream (homemade is perfect here!)
1 1/2 cups peanuts
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 12oz container of Cool Whip

1. Mix together cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan and freeze until firm.
2. Spread softened ice cream overtop of the crust. Freeze until firm.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together evaporated milk, butter, chocolate chips and icing sugar. Bring to a boil, then let cook for 8 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
4. Spread the cooled fudge sauce over the ice cream layer, then sprinkle with peanuts. Freeze until firm.
5. For the last layer, spread the Cool Whip over the top. Garnish with crushed Fudgee-O cookies. Freeze until firm.

Enjoy!

july 7 011

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...