Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lemon Bars

I find that lemon bars are one of those desserts that are really easy to make, yet still rather impressive. Last weekend, we had our old roommate over for dinner. We were going to BBQ the biggest steaks I have ever seen, so I knew that I wanted dessert to be quick and light. Enter the lemon bars! Prep time with these guys are so minimal that I’m honestly still amazed at how well they turned out. I made these in between marinating the steaks and cleaning my kitchen.

july 21 003

Lemon Bars
From Baking Bites

Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup room temperature butter

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9x9” pan with tin foil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and lemon zest. Cut butter into chunks, then blend into the flour mixture until it forms coarse sandy crumbs.
3. Pour into the pan and press down with your fingertips. Bake for 15-19 minute, or until lightly browned around the edges. (Be sure not to over bake, as the crust will become tough to cut!)

While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.

Filling

4 eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (for me, that equalled about 6 lemons)

1. Whisk together eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
2. Once the crust is finished baking, immediately pour filling over top and return to the oven.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling is no longer jiggly when the pan is gently shaken.
4. Top with icing sugar before serving.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...