Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Iced Coffee: The Right Way

Back when I first moved in with Stephen (at the beginning of July, about 2 years ago), I developed an iced coffee habit. You see, I moved into a downtown apartment that had two Starbucks stores at the end of the block. For a Starbucks lover like me? It was heaven. I had a couple of weeks off work, so I had a lot of time to fill. I’d often get out of the apartment to run various errands, and as I came back home, I’d stop at Starbucks for an iced coffee. Occasionally, I’d stop there twice a day, just as an excuse to get out of the house. We also happened to have a large balcony that just begged for someone to read a book on it while sipping iced coffee. This little iced coffee habit got expensive after a while, so I had to quit, cold turkey. Thankfully, at around the same time, I ran across this blog post by Smitten Kitchen. Once I tried it out, I was hooked, and made iced coffee at home for much cheaper. It also happened to be much tastier.
coffee 001

coffee 006

The past couple of weeks, I’ve seen a few blog posts floating around about making iced coffee this way. I wasn’t going to post about it myself, but I kept reading comments from people saying that they just brew a pot of coffee and throw it in the fridge. Trust me when I say this: You’re doing it wrong. I find coffee made that way to get bitter after a while. After all, once my hot coffee gets cold, I’ll no longer drink it. I have a Keurig, and they sell iced coffee K-cups. The problem with that is you brew it hot and then throw it in the fridge. Still not working for me; I’ve gone back to making my iced coffee this way. Try it out, even if just once. You’ll thank me. My favorite way to drink iced coffee? With a splash of vanilla syrup and some milk. Yum!

coffee 008

Iced Coffee
From Smitten Kitchen via NY Times

1/3 coarse ground coffee
1 1/2 cups water

1. Mix together coffee and water. Cover, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
2. Strain coffee through a fine mesh sieve; discard grounds.
Enjoy!

How many times did I say iced coffee in this post?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...