Thursday, February 24, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream

It’s no secret that I’ve been wanting the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment for ages. I almost got it last summer, but that didn’t work out. I find myself periodically drawn towards Amazon to check the price of the attachment, and just two short weeks ago, the price was the lowest I had ever seen it: $80. It’s normally $130 (about the same price in stores here too), so when we saw it for that price, Stephen told me that I should take advantage and order it. You Americans are lucky in that it’s currently only $70. Too bad there isn’t free shipping to Canada!

February 23 013

Since it’s arrived on my doorstep, we’ve had a constant supply of ice cream in our freezer. Unfortunately, strawberry is the only flavor that’s lasted long enough for me to remember to take a picture. This is some amazing stuff, and it comes together so quickly. I also ordered Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book, and have only had one minor failure due to an error on my part. (Note to self: learn how to melt chocolate. Geez.)

Strawberry Ice Cream
Adapted from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar

1. Combine strawberries and sugar in a bowl, and refrigerate for at least one hour. Prepare sweet cream base as follows:

2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk

1. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly whisk in sugar until completely blended. Mix in milk and cream.
2. Puree the strawberries and mix into the sweet cream base.
3. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.

February 23 020February 23 023

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...