Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shortbread Cookies

Baking With Angela

If you’re anything like me, you probably keep a good handle on the things living in your purse. Up until last week, I had never lost my wallet. Last Friday, I trekked across the city, via public transit, to a job interview. When I left the interview, I couldn’t find my wallet, but had just assumed that I left it at home. I called my Dad, and he rescued me, which allowed me to get home. When I got home, I didn’t look for my wallet like a responsible person might. Later in the day, I got a facebook message from someone I didn’t know. They had found my wallet in a field across from their house. I was so happy to know that an honest person found my wallet and wanted me to come pick it up. Oh, for some reason, I didn’t have any money in my wallet. Thankfully!
August 30 018

I had people coming over later and needed to clean my apartment. I didn’t really want to make the long trek back to the other end of the city to fetch my wallet, but I needed it! My sister would be passing close by this person’s house later in the day, so I called and begged her to stop off and grab my wallet for me. How do your repay your sister for going out of her way to pick up your wallet? You bake her cookies of her choice. She requested shortbread cookies, so I offered to jazz them up a little bit by dipping them in chocolate. Nope. She’s a shortbread purist and wanted them plain. I still made them pretty by cutting them out into heart shapes. I’m nice like that.

Shortbread Cookies
From Joy Of Baking

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla

August 30 008

1. Whisk together flour and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter until smooth. Beat in icing sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in flour. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in saran wrap and chill for an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters. Place on a cookie sheet and chill for 15 minutes, which will help the cookies maintain their shape when baked.

August 30 016
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.

August 30 020

Then, you wrap it all up in a little box….
August 30 022And top it off with a cute ribbon!
August 30 025

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...