Thursday, September 23, 2010

Banana Espresso Muffins

Baking With Angela

These muffins are the reason that I stock espresso powder in my baking stash. I’ve made these muffins a few times for friends and family, and they all request them whenever I ask what they want me to bake. The muffins are unbelievably moist, and I love the hit of coffee flavor that the espresso powder gives it. I double the amount of espresso that the recipe originally called for, and yet I still don’t find it that strong. Stephen, who doesn’t like coffee, says that he hardly notices the coffee taste.

September 21 041

I probably shouldn’t eat these for breakfast, but I like to convince myself that the espresso in them makes it an ok thing to munch on in the morning…and for afternoon snack… and for dessert later in the evening. I just can’t help myself. These babies never last long around here.

Banana Espresso Muffins
Adapted from How To Eat A Cupcakes, Originally from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

(Printable Recipe)

1 1/2 cups ripe mashed bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup melted, unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp instant espresso
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
September 21 039

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a muffin tin.
2. In small bowl, beat together bananas. sugars, butter, milk and egg.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, espresso, baking soda and salt. Fold in wet ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips, just until combined. (I never use a mixer of any sort for this recipe, just my wooden spoon!)
4. Pour batter into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

September 21 043 September 21 044

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...