Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I’m A 90s Child.

Ages ago, I came across the blog Children of the 90s. I added it to my Google Reader, and have enjoyed the reminders and flashbacks of the things I used to love as a kid. It’s made me realize that I miss those carefree days a whole lot more than I thought! So, in honor of Children of the 90s, here’s a list of some of the things I loved about the 90s. (This isn’t a full list, just a short sampling.)

TGIF: I remember Friday nights being a big deal in my household. We’d all get together, plant ourselves in front of the TV and watch some of my favorite shows. Full House, Boy Meets World, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Family Matters, Step By Step. The quickest way to make me feel nostalgic for the 90s is to mention any of these shows.
Butterfly ClipsButterfly Clips: I’ll probably never be able to explain exactly while I always had such an affinity to these colorful pieces of plastic, but I really did treasure them. I was always trying to stick them in my hair. I especially loved the fancier ones covered in glitter. I’ll always have a love for them, even if I’d never wear them again. The girl I nanny for has a few butterfly clips, and I’m always trying to convince her to wear them.

The Babysitter’s Club: I loved reading all of the books, and wanted to be these girls. I even tried once or twice to start my own Babysitter’s Club, but that never seemed to work out. I even loved the movie! In fact, if you happen to own it, feel free to come over and watch it with me. Seriously.

furbys-600x301 Furbys: For what seemed to be like an eternity (to a kid), I wanted to own my very own Furby. There was just something about a talking fluff ball that appealed to the younger me, and I wanted it more than I every wanted anything. When I finally got one, I was so excited to teach it how to talk, because I had heard that it could pick up words from you. At one point, I was entirely convinced that my Furby called me stupid. Yeah, that thing didn’t hold my attention for very long after that. I hate to admit this, but I don’t think I’d pass up the opportunity to play with one now, but only for a little bit.

Music: I could probably write an entire post dedicated to my love for cheesy 90s music! Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Spice Girls…the list goes on for days. My best friend and I were so obsessed with the Backstreet Boys that we used to play a game in which we both dated our favorites (her: Nick, Me: Brian). Do you remember TLC’s Waterfalls? It was my favorite song for a good chunk of time, and I’d sing it everywhere I went. I only just learned what the song was about.

PogsPogs: The boys I nanny are obsessed with Pokémon cards, which always reminds me of the 90s obsession with Pogs. I had quite the collection at one point. I’m not sure I ever actually played the game (or even knew how to), but I was always trading and collecting these dang things. My most treasured Pogs were my Disney ones, and one that even had my name on it. I made the mistake of bringing some of my collection to school one day, and leaving it on a table in the music room (where were supposed to dump our belongings that we could claim after class). Someone stole my blue case of Pogs! Shortly after that, Pogs were banned in my school.

body glitterBody Glitter: I don’t remember wearing it out too often, but I loved collecting body glitter. My favorite was the kind that had little stars in it. The biggest fad (at least where I lived), was to fish out a single star and put it next to your eyes. Obviously I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

What were your favorite things in the 90s?

Don’t forget to vote in my poll (on the right side of the blog). It closes tomorrow, and I’ll announce what I’ll be baking.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...