Friday, May 7, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Vol 1)

I decided to try my hand at 7 Quick Takes Friday this week. I don’t know if this will be something that will happen every week, but I really wanted to do it today! Head over to Conversion Diary if you want to see what other people have to say. (I have been reading these posts over at Roots & Rings and Take These Chances, who both do a fantastic job with their posts every Friday!)
7 quick takes

1. I’m starting work with a new family today. It’s only on Fridays, but anything helps right now! I babysat the kids a couple of weekends ago, and loved them! I already adore the Mom, who is genuinely kind and caring. I realize that I’m just starting for them, and things could change, but I’m optimistic about this family! It’ll be fun working with some younger kids again (6 year old girl, 4 year old and 3 year old boys). Their Australian accents make me love them more!

2. A good coffee date does wonders for me. I went with a friend to The Purple Perk for a quick date. We talked a lot about the people we went to school with and what we’d be like as Mothers, all while sipping on a chocolate mocha shake (for her) and a London Fog (for me). I need to make more time for dates like this.

3. Tomorrow, Stephen and I are taking my Dad to the Body Worlds exhibit at the Science Center. I can be a bit squeamish, but I think this will be a great learning experience. My Dad saw this exhibit in Toronto once, and when I found out it was coming to Calgary, I knew it would be the perfect birthday present for him.

4. Remember when I talked about cutting cable in order to save more money? Turns out we’ve got free cable. It’s not the regular free channels; we have nearly as many channels as we did when we were paying for digital cable from Shaw. Keep your fingers crossed that this stays around, and we don’t have to pay for cable for the rest of our stay in this apartment! (We’re saving at least $60/month)

5. I’ve got an itch to go thrifting. I’ve been reading a few blogs where they post about the treasures they find, and it’s making me want to give it a go. I already know a couple of things that I would love to look for: a trifle bowl, Madeleine pan, picture frames and brooches. I don’t know who I would invite to bring along, my friends don’t really seem to be the type to go thrifting, although I could be pleasantly surprised. If all else fails, I know my Mom would go with me!

6. I’m going to a friend’s birthday dinner tomorrow night, and I’m kind of nervous about the gift I’m giving her. She’s a friend that I really like, but for whatever reason, we don’t hang out too often. I’ve been saving cookies from the batches I’ve been baking (4-6 at a time) and sticking them in the freezer. I plan on wrapping them up nicely and giving that as her gift. I’m at 4 different kinds right now, and may sneak in an extra batch tomorrow night. Do you think this is an ok gift? How would you feel if someone gave that to you?

7. Stephen has been working really hard lately. He’s been working closing shifts (5pm till close), so I haven’t seen much of him at all. He’s on a night schedule, which means he sleeps until between noon and 3pm, goes to work for 5, comes home sometime after midnight (between midnight and 3am, depending on the night), and then stays up until between 4am and 6am. Since I am on a day schedule (up at 8am, home by 6pm or 7pm, bed by 11pm), I don’t see a lot of him. For a good majority of the week, the only time I see him is when he wakes me up for 5 or 10 minutes to tell me about his night at work. Confusing, right? I don’t think that a lot of people realize that Stephen and I don’t spend a lot of time together, even though we live together! He only gets one day off this week because I asked him to take it off to do the Body Worlds Exhibit and the birthday dinner. Stephen is in need of a vacation.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...