Wednesday, December 30, 2009

On New Years Resolutions…

Normally, I’m not a big fan of making New Years resolutions. Sure, more often than not, I will contemplate goals, write them down and maybe even put them up somewhere so I can see them. The only problem is, I don’t take them seriously. I feel like I have to make them because everyone is making them. The first one is always the same too: Eat better/be more active/lose weight. Want to know what I discovered after 23 years of being alive? I don’t need to make New Years resolutions to become a better me. Nope! I already do that all year long. I make little lists full of goals that I want to complete throughout the year, and I didn’t even realize I was doing it. And the best part of that? I actually accomplish those goals! I make a list of things that I want to do over the summer, and I made a  list of 101 in1001. I realized that it’s the small things like that that make me a better person. I find so much more joy and fulfillment in the smaller things in life!

But! With that being said, I do want to set some goals for my blog, and the way I blog. Nothing big or life changing, just some things that I’ve been wanting to attempt for a while. So, without further ado, here they are:

  • Become more active in 20sb.  (That’s a link to my profile) 20sb is such a fantastic community of bloggers, and I love the amazing people I come across there. But just having a profile up and occasionally friending people isn’t really doing all that much for me. I need to put into it what I expect to take out of it. If you haven’t signed up for 20sb yet, you really should.
  • Make a blogroll. I read some pretty amazing blogs (at least, in my opinion they are amazing). Why not share that with everyone else? I love looking through other people’s blogrolls and discovering new blogs.
  • Become better at commenting. I know, I know. This one is probably pretty lame sauce, but it’s something I want to work on. There are a few blogs that I read all the time, yet I never leave comments. What am I afraid of? That they’ll laugh at me? That they don’t know I exist and don’t care about my little comment? That they already have 20+ comments and don’t need another one from me? I know how exciting it is to get a new comment, and so I want to return that favour. I want to interact with these bloggers more, and what the heck, maybe even develop a friendship. Crazy, I know!
  • Find my voice. I’ve mentioned a few times on here that I used to have a blog over at Live Journal, I’ve had my blog there for quite a long time actually. While at first I absolutely loved it, I eventually started to find that it was a chore. All people ever update about was their mundane day to day tasks, and it was starting to get repetitive for me. I was falling into the same rut. What I didn’t realize, is that I was craving posts with a little more substance. I wanted to connect more with the person behind the posts and see some personal growth. I didn’t even realize this until I read this post by Kyla Roma. I stopped posting on lj, but missed blogging in general, so I moved on over to blogger, which opened up a whole new world to me. But I have realized that I’ve fallen back into the same slump again. I’m posting about the mundane day to day stuff going on in my life. I’m not growing, or making any self-revelations here. And that’s what I want! Even though I’m not very good at it, I find writing to be very therapeutic, and I’m not taking full advantage of that. Why I feel the need to do that over a blog, I have no idea, but no one but a fellow blogger would understand.

So there you have it! The only New Years resolutions I am going to set for myself this year. I hope that you guys will bear with me and cheer me on when I need it. I’m also hoping that I’ll be able to be there for you when you need it most too.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...