Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Best of ‘09: Trip & Restaurant Moment

I’ve stumbled upon some fellow bloggers participating in Gwen Bell’s Best of 2009 Blog Challenge. I thought that this would be a great way to think back over the past year and pick out the highlights. Considering I missed December 1st, I figured I would go ahead and combine yesterday and today. It just so happens that these two experiences coincide with each other anyway!

Best Trip: Just so happens to be my only trip of the year, ha! Doesn’t matter though, because it was truly an amazing trip. Stephen and I decided to get away for Spring break and headed to Vancouver and Victoria for a week. I’ve been to Vancouver before, but it was during my grade 10 band trip. It was amazing to be able to explore the city together…Stephen and I are both madly in love with Vancouver now! After 4 days of staying with my uncle, we took the ferry to Victoria and stayed with Stephen’s dad. Which by the way, was the first time I’ve met him! Holy heck was I nervous, but we had a good time.
Even though there were minor mishaps along the way: I had strep throat, Stephen’s roommate went M.I.A for two days back in Calgary and the kitchen called Stephen, finding out that the cab ride to the ferry would cost us $80….none of it mattered in the end, we had a blast. So much so that we want to move to Vancouver someday.

Restaurant Moment: Our one year anniversary happened to fall during our stay in Vancouver. Knowing this well before going on the trip, Stephen and I decided to go all out and splurge on a fancy dinner to celebrate. We researched restaurants online, and finding one that sounded amazing, we booked a reservation. The sole reason for booking this reservation was base on the menu we found online; French cuisine for me and venison for Stephen. Once we actually arrive at the restaurant, Stephen and I are whisked away into a room to be seated…alone. Seriously, no other diners were around, they were in another part of the restaurant. No big deal. We start looking over the menu and realize it is nothing like the menu we saw online. There was no venison (which Stephen had been salivating over for a month), but there was plenty of fish. Neither Stephen nor I enjoy any sort of fish. Awesome. We decide that we’re just going to ditch the place entirely, since it was nothing like we expected. When our very snooty waiter came back, Stephen asked him about the Venison which made the waiter think we were crazy, no lie. Stephen apologized and told him we were going to leave. We both grabbed our coats and walked sheepishly out of the restaurant.

Earlier in the day, we had passed by a restaurant called Relish that we had thought looked interesting, so we decided to attempt to locate it once again. We wandered around Vancouver for nearly an hour, on foot, trying to find the place. We finally did and luckily enough, got a table right away. The food was amazing! The atmosphere was just right and our waiter was incredibly nice. Relish was a much better choice.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...