Thursday, March 18, 2010

Baking Week #2

Baking With Angela Final Copy I believe every home baker needs a good chocolate chip cookie recipe in their arsenal. (I also believe they should have a go to banana bread recipe and a few others, but that’s another post) Ever since I started getting serious about baking, I had been on the hunt for my perfect go-to recipe. I had bookmarked a few, and tried a few others out. In between experiments, I had gone back to a certain recipe a few times without even realizing it. When showing off a new recipe to Stephen one night, he pointed out to me that I had already found my go-to recipe. It’s the one my family requested from me most often. I baked 5 dozen of them at Christmas time, and everyone raved over them. I was expecting to settle on a recipe with a secret ingredient in it, but instead, I had found my go-to recipe when I hadn’t even noticed! Best part of it? They’re super easy to make, and I can take a few liberties with the ingredients based on what I have on hand.

Mrs. Field’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
(My notes in Italic.)

(Printable Recipe)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dark brown sugar (I often use light brown, as it’s what I usually have on hand)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup softened butter (Butter is expensive with the amount of baking I do, so I often make it with margarine. Please don’t use shortening, I find that it takes away from the overall taste.)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

March 15 2010 545 1. Preheat oven to 300F
2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. (This helps incorporate air into the flour mixture, contributing to excellent cookies! This step is worth it.)
March 15 2010 546
2. In large bowl, beat sugars. Add in butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Add eggs and vanilla.
March 15 2010 547 3. Fold in flour mixture and chocolate chips. (This is when I turn off the beaters or Kitchen Aid, and go at it with a wooden spoon so that I don’t over mix it. If I’m doubling the recipe, I’ll often use clean hands to finish the mixing. Don’t over mix!)
March 15 2010 548 4. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
March 15 2010 549 {Side note: I baked these at work, so I wasn’t using any of my own pans. I actually prefer using darker baking sheets, but it’s all a matter of personal opinion.}

I apparently decided not to take a picture of the finished product, but you’ve seen enough chocolate chip cookies to be able to fill in the blanks. These cookies never last long, so I’m usually baking them at least once a week.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...