Friday, December 17, 2010

Women of Wonder: Mission #7

WOW_blogpost_img_alt2

Rediscover Yourself: Reflect on the experiences that you’ve had over the last couple of weeks. What is it that makes you shine?

It’s hard to believe that after a crazy three month journey, this is my last mission. WonderBra first contacted me several months ago asking if I’d be willing to participate, and I very nearly deleted that email, thinking that it was just spam. I’m so glad that I didn’t, because this journey that I’ve been on was a great one. You can read more about my first six missions by clicking on the links below:
Mission #1: Rediscover Your World. (Due to some scheduling difficulties, this is the only mission that has yet to happen. Look for it in the new year!
Mission #2: Rediscover Your Beauty.
Mission #3: Rediscover Your Dreams.
Mission #4: Rediscover Your Happiness.
Mission #5: Rediscover Your Community.
Mission #6: Rediscover Your Balance.
Mission #7: Rediscover Yourself.

It was suggested that I create a signature recipe for this mission. I loved the idea, but I’m still not quite comfortable with creating my own recipes and posting them. I’m slowly working my way toward that. Instead, while contemplating what I would like to bake, I started thinking about with who, and where I’d like to be eating my baked goods. My favorite way to catch up with friends is on a coffee date, and I figure that’s just what we’re doing right now. We’re two friends, catching up on the past three months. What goes better with a cup of coffee than some biscotti? I discovered this recipe on Joy the Baker’s blog, and knew that it would be perfect. There is no better smell than cinnamon sugar biscotti baking in your oven. I had to restrain myself from eating the biscotti straight from the oven.

December 16 008

Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti
Source: Joy the Baker

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 beaten egg

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, and then the egg yolk. Mix in vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients.
4. Divide dough into two pieces. Shape each half onto the baking sheet into a 9 inch long by 1 1/2 inch wide log. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
6. Remove from oven (keep oven on!) and once the cookies are cool enough to handle, slice into half inch wide slices. Place biscotti cut side down on baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until golden.
December 16 001December 16 003

Now that we’ve got our snack, let’s talk more about the Women of Wonder Project. I’ve learned so much about myself over the past three months. I’ve had to step outside of my comfort zone (hello, ballet class!) and try new things. The best part? I gained enough confidence to realize that I can do these things. I also learned a lot about my family and close friends. When I call them up last minute and pitch crazy ideas to them (ballet class and bake sale), they’re all onboard, without any hesitation. My passion for giving and helping others has also been reawakened with the Mustard Seed and bake sale missions. I’m starting to think about these things in my every day life… I’ve even started asking Stephen if we could sponsor a child, or find other ways to give back. We’ve been blessed (especially lately), so it’s only right that we share our blessings with others.

So, it all boils down to what I think it is that makes me shine: My willingness to give. You know that biscotti that I baked? I’m not keeping it for myself. I did what I do best, I packaged it up in a Christmas tin, and I’m going to give it away to someone I love. After all, what’s the point in keeping everything to myself? I enjoy life so much more when I share it with others. (Same goes for biscotti!)
December 16 009

December 16 012

I have to say thank you to WonderBra Canada for choosing me to participate in this project. I’ve received many wonderful gifts (I’m set on bras and underwear for a while), and the experiences that I’ve gained while completing my missions are priceless. I hope that if there’s one thing that you can take away from this campaign, it’s that we’re all talented and beautiful in our own ways. I couldn’t have learned that lesson enough from my friends and family while working on this.

To check out what the other four ladies did on their missions, check out the WonderBra Facebook page. They all participated in some amazing missions!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...