Thursday, November 10, 2011

Peanut Butter Apple Bars

Stephen and I love having people over for dinner. I think we’re both homebodies, so if we can invite over our favorite people to partake in one of our favorite activities, then we’re game for it. Here’s the thing though, I often forget to make dessert. I can hear you over there, all “What the heck Angela?”. I’m kind of ashamed to admit it, but I just forget to make it. I focus so much on cleaning the house and making sure that we have everything for dinner that I’ll often just skip over dessert entirely. I’m trying to get better about this though. A couple of weeks ago, we had our favorite couple over for lunch, and I actually remembered to make something sweet to eat before we went out for a movie.

October 19 002

I was nervous about this dessert at first, because when I sampled the naked peanut butter apple bar, I wasn’t impressed with it. Stephen assured me that it was still fine to serve, so I finished it off by making the peanut butter glaze. I originally cut the bars into small slices, not expecting anyone to really want more. Turns out I was totally wrong, because these bars were amazing once they were all dressed up. So amazing that I had to bring out the rest of them, and everyone filled up on these before the movie. Now that’s a successful dessert!

Peanut Butter Apple Bars
From Two Peas and Their Pod

1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup diced apples

1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x13 pan.
2. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt together the butter and brown sugar, stirring until smooth.  Remove from heat and mix in the peanut butter until fully combined. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, into the peanut butter mixture. Add in the vanilla extract. Combine with the dry ingredients. Fold in the diced apples.
5. Pour the batter into the greased pan, and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool bars on a wire rack.

Peanut Butter Glaze

1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Whisk together the ingredients until smooth.
2. Drizzle over cut and cooled bars.

Enjoy!

 

October 19 003

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...