Monday, November 22, 2010

Furniture Shopping

When I first met Stephen, he was living with his brother and his brother’s ex-girlfriend. (That was an awkward situation) They both moved out, leaving Stephen without any furniture. I took pity on him and gave him a green chair that was given to me and was sitting in my room. I figured one chair was better than nothing, right? After he got a roommate, they got lucky, because their sous-chef was moving to Vancouver and needed to get rid of his furniture. They ended up with a hideous green couch that wasn’t all that comfortable. You can’t complain when it’s free, right? I ended up living with that couch for several months, and it became clear just how much we all hated it. When Stephen and I moved out into our current apartment, we tossed the couch. We didn’t have very much money, so we searched on Kijiji for a new one. For around $60, we got the leather one we currently have. It’s too low to the ground, and when we first got it, had a small rip in the cushion. A year later, the rip spans the entire length of the cushion, and I feel like I have to apologize for it when people come over.

We’re going from a one bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom townhouse, which means we’re going to need quite a bit of furniture. At the top of our list was a new couch and a kitchen table. Our apartment is so small that we never had room for a table! Last Thursday evening, Stephen and I bundled up and made the trek to The Brick. We got lucky in terms of customer service, we had a guy around our age helping us out. We told him our budget, the things we needed, and he handled everything. We had seen a couch and loveseat online that we liked, and when we got to the store, we found out it was on sale due to a small rip. The guy helping us out let us know that they had the exact same couch and love seat in the clearance section, without any imperfections! We ended up buying both of them for around $200 cheaper.

Couchlove seat

They probably wouldn’t have been my first choice in terms of color, but the fact that they’re brand new and in our price range? I’m not complaining. Plus, they’re comfy. I promise you that in real life, they’re the exact same color.

I’ve been super excited about getting a table finally. Eating on our barstools at the counter wasn’t the most comfortable thing, and it’ll be nice to have somewhere to play board games.

table

We got lucky with the table as well. There was a sale that had ended 4 days before, but because they had left up the signs, we got the sale price!

The other furniture on our list of things to buy include a futon or sofa bed, coffee table, craft table, new bedframe, new computer desk and a bookshelf. It’ll take us a while to save up for these things, but I’d say that we’re making pretty good progress so far. Only a week until we move!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...