I realized that I don’t have a go to recipe for simple buttercream, so I tried out the Magnolia version. While it was pretty good, I found it to be much too sweet, and I didn’t even add the recommended amount of icing sugar! Feel free to point me in the direction of your favorite buttercream recipe.
Adapted from Baking Bites
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Beat in milk. Fold in sprinkles.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Magnolia Buttercream Icing
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1. Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly beat in 4 cups of icing sugar and beat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Gradually add the remaining amount of icing sugar (beating well after each addition), until desired spreading consistency is achieved.
(Note: I added 5 cups of icing sugar, but didn’t find it thick enough to pipe onto the cupcakes.)
I didn’t have a chance to get some good pictures of the cupcakes, mostly because we were having too much fun decorating them. T had a friend over that afternoon, and I set up a decorating station for them: