Thursday, November 11, 2010

Funfetti Cupcakes

A few weeks ago, it was T’s birthday. (T is one of the boys that I nanny) I knew that I wanted something fun and easy to make for him, so I settled on funfetti cupcakes. If' you’ve never had funfetti, it’s basically just a white cake with sprinkles mixed into the batter. I started off trying to be sneaky, to see if I could get away with baking them without T knowing. That obviously didn’t happen, but it turns out that it was twice as fun having him help me. He was so excited for the sprinkles!

November 7 525 November 7 528

I realized that I don’t have a go to recipe for simple buttercream, so I tried out the Magnolia version. While it was pretty good, I found it to be much too sweet, and I didn’t even add the recommended amount of icing sugar! Feel free to point me in the direction of your favorite buttercream recipe.

Funfetti Cupcakes
Adapted from Baking Bites

(Printable Recipe)

1/2 cup milk
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp room temperature butter
2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles

November 7 519

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Beat in milk. Fold in sprinkles.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

November 7 520

Magnolia Buttercream Icing

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

1. Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly beat in 4 cups of icing sugar and beat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Gradually add the remaining amount of icing sugar (beating well after each addition), until desired spreading consistency is achieved.
(Note: I added 5 cups of icing sugar, but didn’t find it thick enough to pipe onto the cupcakes.)

November 7 531 I didn’t have a chance to get some good pictures of the cupcakes, mostly because we were having too much fun decorating them. T had a friend over that afternoon, and I set up a decorating station for them:

November 7 534
I’d say that they were a hit! The boys all asked for seconds.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...