Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

It’s that time of year; the holiday baking has begun. During the fall and on through winter, all I ever want to do is bake. I often having marathon baking sessions actually. Naturally, I’m in charge of the holiday baking in my family. My great grandma used to be in charge of it, but I think that since I’ve become so passionate about baking, she doesn’t mind handing that torch over to me. She still brings a few things around though!

October 12 044

Thanksgiving was this past weekend, so I needed a pumpkin type dessert. Pumpkin pie is a mandatory staple, but I wanted to shake things up a little bit this year. I came across these pumpkin pie cupcakes on Pinterest (of course), and knew that I had a winner. They don’t have the texture of a cupcake though, like my entire family expected. They’re honestly just little pies baked in cupcake wrappers. They have a bit of a “crust” around them that helps them hold up though. While reading through the comments, a couple of people claimed that these cupcakes didn’t taste like much. I added in more spices, as suggested by a commenter. When I sampled one of the cupcakes, I still felt like something was missing. Stephen, on the other hand, who is not a fan of pumpkin pie, ate several of these cupcakes throughout the day. I did make some cinnamon whipped cream (which was actually the star of the day), and I felt that the cupcakes were just right after that!

October 12 049

Just a quick note about the whipped cream in these pictures: I made it 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave for my parents house. I didn’t realize that I hadn’t whipped it quite enough, so it looks a bit sad in these pictures. I wish I had pictures of them with the cinnamon whipped cream, but it was already too dark for pictures. I didn’t measure out the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon though, so there’s no recipe for that. Store bought whipped cream will just not be the same in  this instance! Also, these cupcakes will fall when they come out of the oven. No big deal, because that just means there’s more room for whipped cream!

October 12 050

Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
Adapted from Baking Bites

2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
15 oz pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla and evaporated milk. Whisk in the dry ingredients just until fully combined.
4. Fill cupcake wrappers and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Keep cupcakes chilled and serve with cinnamon whipped cream.

Enjoy!

October 12 037

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...