Thursday, October 20, 2011

Apple Butter

Before last month, I had no idea what apple butter was. I know what you’re thinking: that I must lead a sheltered life. That may be the case, but at least I’m not as sheltered as my friends who don’t even know what an ampersand is! Ok, I kid. They made fun of me for knowing what one is, so I had to get them back somehow.

October 12 005

I first heard about apple butter from Pinterest. (I promise that one day, I’ll go back to cook books for my recipes!) The recipe that I had read was quite the process, taking 22 hours and involved a slow cooker. I contemplated using that recipe, but wasn’t quite committed to something that require so much of my time, especially if I didn’t even know if I like apple butter. I did some Googling around and came across this recipe from chef Michael Smith. It looked easy enough, so I was sold.

October 12 007

The process is quite easy and didn’t require me to stand at the stove the entire time, which I liked. It’s not a large batch that you would can, but I did get three decent sized jars out of it. I wrapped up 2 of them to pass along to my family and already have had requests for more. Wondering what the heck to do with apple butter? Stephen and I heated it up and used it as an ice cream topping, which was seriously delicious. I may have done that more than once. I’ve also spread it on toast, and it apparently tastes good swirled into some yogurt or oatmeal. I’m thinking of making a bigger batch and canning it to last me (and my family) the winter!

Apple Butter
from Chef Michael Smith

10 apples (recommended: Spartans, Macs, Granny Smiths. I used what I had on hand: Gala)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 tsp vanilla

1. Peel apples. Core and quarter them.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, until apples soften.
3. Continue cooking until the liquid has reduced by about 80% and is thick and dark.
4. Using a food processor, puree the mixture. Let cool, then store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!

October 12 009

October 12 012

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...