Thursday, October 6, 2011

Brown Sugar Cookies with Browned Butter Icing

Every once in a while, there’s just something irresistible about soft cookies. You know those kinds that they sell at the grocery store? Soft sugar cookies with brightly colored icing that will make you feel sick if you eat more than one? Yeah, those things call out my name every once in a while. I’ve never caved in and bought them myself, but I’ve had them while at work, or if Stephen brought some home. I’ve been wanting to find a similar recipe so that I could make them at home, and when I came across these cookies on Pinterest, I knew I found what I was looking for. They’re really not the same at all, but in my mind, these are so much better.
October 3 048
A friend of mine had a birthday earlier this week, so I knew that it was the perfect excuse to bake these cookies. The dough is rather soft and sticky, so I had to use two spoons to work it into lumps to stick on the cookie sheet. Don’t let that put you off; this dough produces some of the softest, fluffiest cookies ever. The icing was quick to throw together and tasted divine. I believe that the icing is what takes these cookies over the top! I started off putting a bit too much icing on the cookies, so by the end, I had a few naked ones. The recipe produced well over two dozen cookies, so if you’re a heavy icer like I am, then you’ll want to double the recipe. (I totally just invented the word “icer”.")
Brown Sugar Cookies From Scraps of Life
2/3 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
4. Fold in the flour mixture and the sour cream, making alternate additions of each.
5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lined baking sheet. Bake for 8  minutes, or until golden. Let cool on wire rack.
Browned Butter Icing From Scraps of Life
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, brown the butter.
2. Once browned, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the icing sugar and milk. You’ll want to add enough milk to get it to a spreading consistency, but it will thicken up as it cools.
Cover cookies with some of this icing.
Enjoy!
cookies
If you’re feeling generous, wrap some up and share with a friend!
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...