Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Craving Fab Pastries: Results

pastry

It’s the end of the month, which means it’s time to post the results of my challenge. I don’t even know if anyone participated, but I like the fact that I had a deadline to stick to. It meant that I actually got around to baking.

The challenge was to make Choux Pastry, with David Lebovitz’s recipe as inspiration. Since I had procrastinated nearly the entire month of August, I decided to go ahead and try out his Gougères recipe.
August 30 034

I have to admit that when my little cheese puffs started out like this, I didn’t have very much faith. I was certain that they were doomed, but threw them in the oven.

August 30 038
When I pulled them out of the oven, I was pleasantly surprised. I never expected them to turn out like this! I think mine fell a little flat, but I was happy all the same.

My suggestions for anyone attempting to make these:
-First off, they’re ridiculously easy. I found them quicker to make than a big batch of cookies.
-Use good cheese. I used what I had on hand, and while it tasted just fine, they would have been over the top with an amazing cheese.
-Eat them warm. I tried one the next day and wasn’t impressed. I wouldn’t bother making these unless you intend to eat them straight out of the oven.
August 30 041

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...