Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Memory Box

While digging through the containers under my bed, trying to find some papers, I came across my memory box.
Buttermilk Pound Cake 029 To some, it might not look like much. It’s just a plain black box, showing signs of wear and tear along the edges. The lid doesn’t even sit on properly anymore, but for me, this box holds all sorts of little treasures. You see, I like to take memories and tuck them away for when I need them in the future. I’m the kind of person that likes to reflect back upon my favorite moments, and I adore having little tokens from those times.

It had been a while since I’ve looked through the box, so when I took the lid off, I was a little surprised by the mess I found inside. I started sorting everything out and reliving memories here and there. It was the perfect way to pass a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 031

I’ve kept all of my concert tickets neatly tucked away in a little folder. I was surprised by just how many I had in there; I’ve been to more concerts than I had realized. Live music is such an awesome experience to me, so looking over these tickets reminded me of my favorite songs from each show.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 035

In a separate folder, I stashed away all of my sporting events tickets. For someone who doesn’t even follow sports, I had been to a surprising number of events. I once had a friend who would get free Hitmen Hockey tickets from his Dad. I had a brief love affair with lacrosse, fuelled by my best friend. We tried to make it to every game.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 033

I’ve been to a few plays, and reading over these booklets makes me feel as if I’m back in that moment just before the play starts. It’s a wonderful feeling.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 038I have piles of artwork that children that I’ve babysat and nannied had made for me. I find it hardest parting with artwork that my current nanny kids created. The above picture is of a heart, back when C-Bear was just learning how to draw them. She’s long since improved.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 041

I have two rolls of film that have been sitting, undeveloped since I was a young teenager. I’m curious about what’s on them, yet have never taken them to get developed. The roll in the front came from my first ever camera, a gift from my grandparents.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 048

Programs from my high school graduation sat near the top of the box, reminding me of a day when I was so excited to have my family all come together to celebrate me.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 043

Small tokens from past vacations are tucked between every layer of papers, reminding me of the first time I was in charge of taking my sisters on an airplane, without my parents. Of the time shortly after high school that two friends and I took a Greyhound bus from Calgary to Toronto for a summer vacation. Of the time that I visited my uncles in Golden, BC and ate dinner at the Eagle Eye Restaurant, sitting atop a ski hill.

Buttermilk Pound Cake 045

This is just a small sampling of letters that I had in the box. One of my best friends was amazing at writing encouraging letters and letting me know just how amazing I am.

So tell me friends, do you tuck away memories like I do? Do you keep them in a box?
If so, what’s in your memory box?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...